A Papaya and Strawberry Unicorn Smoothie Bowl seemed the most fitting way to round up Gastroparesis Awareness Month for 2020. Because who wouldn’t love a smoothie bowl decorated as an enchanting unicorn anyway?
Before we get into the recipe, and all the ways this is such a dream for Gastroparesis and GERD, it’s also worth mentioning straight from the get-go that this recipe is also vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and low-FODMAP. Is just got even more loveable, didn’t it?!
This dreamy and mystical Unicorn Smoothie Bowl is lovingly made in mind especially for Gastroparesis, and this Gastroparesis Awareness Month.
It’s an enchanting mix of Papaya and Strawberry topped with gluten-free toppings and a little sprinkling of shimmer to take you off to the land of the Unicorns.
Inspiration: Pluk’s Unicorn Bowl
As for my whimsical inspiration, this all goes straight to dreamiest Pluk, my favourite cafe in the Netherlands (if not the world).
If you follow me on Instagram you will have seen many photos of magical Unicorn bowls appear quite regularly on my feed!
Well here is the mystical and enchanted unicorn bowl once more in both a strawberry and passionfruit variety. They really are visually and in taste, a slice of a truly mystical and beautiful world.
Taking these as my inspiration, we’re going to make a unicorn smoothie bowl that is just as magical but suited to Gastroparesis and GERD.
But let’s get back to the magic of the ingredients. This all comes from Papaya as our base that is fused with sweetest strawberries, soothing banana, dairy-free mylk, vegan yoghurt and some vegan protein powder (if you desire to add this in).
I made the base with Payapa as it’s just such a super fruit for Gastroparesis. With enzymes called papain, Payaya helps improve digestion and reduces heartburn. It truly is a medicinal fruit.
Other than helping with digestion and heartburn, Papaya is also known to fight against heart diseases, diabetes, cancer, bone health and asthma. It contains vitamin K, beta-carotene, calcium and they are also a rich source of vitamin A.
Enjoy it here as a smoothie bowl alongside sweet strawberries. Berries can be difficult with Gastroparesis but Strawberries are something I can enjoy in moderation. If they are at all troublesome for you, either leave them out or reduce the amount used.
To finish off the fruit base I’m using half a banana: one of Mother Nature’s original fast foods, right?! Bananas are easy to digest, high in potassium, and are less acidic than many other fruits. Not a banana fan? It’s fine to skip this!
For that creamy, decadent consistency alongside the fruit, I then added some Lucy Bee Coconut Milk (the very best) with some Nush Strawberry Yoghurt (also just heavenly).
To create the enchanting finish touch, you can then top your smoothie bowl with gluten-free and low-FODMAP toppings of choice. From granola (I love Dorset Cereals), the rest of the banana for the ears, a gluten-free ice cream cone (this is what I’m using) and chia seeds for the eyes.
Fancy some shimmer? Feel free to add some edible glitter to make this even more of a mystical, whimsical treat!
Papaya and Strawberry Unicorn Smoothie Bowl for Gastroparesis and GERD (Vegan + Dairy-Free + Gluten-Free + Low-FODMAP)
- 1/2 Papaya (de-seeded, peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup Strawberries (put in a blender whole to save wastage)
- 1/2 Banana (you'll want to keep some extra over for the Unicorn ears!)
- 2 tbsp Strawberry Vegan Yoghurt (I'm using Nush)
- 100 ml Coconut Mylk (I'm using Lucy Bee's Coconut Milk but any dairy-free milk will do)
- 1 Scoop Protein Vegan Powder (optional)
- 1 Gluten-Free Ice Cream Cone
- Gluten-Free Granola (I'm using Dorset Cereals Gluten-Free Granola)
- Chia Seeds
- Coconut Chips
- Place the chopped Papaya, Strawberries, half the Banana, the vegan yoghurt and coconut milk into a blender and blitz together. You can always add a scoop of vegan protein powder if you would like to. You'll want to give this all a good few minutes to create the consistency you're after!
- Pour your smoothie mixture into a bowl. I'm using a small bowl from Coconut Bowls. If there's too much smoothie for you, put some in another bowl and keep for another day.
- Now it's time to decorate! To start, I added a semi-circle halo top to the bowl with the Coconut Chips.
- Next, add the gluten-free granola in front of where you added the coconut chips..
- You're now ready for the truly mystical details without them sinking into your bowl! To start, add the gluten-free ice cream cone to the centre of the granola. Aim for it to be as centred as possible.
- Now it's time for the ears! Take the end of the half of the banana you didn't use and cut down the middle to make the two pointy ears. Add them either size of the gluten-free ice cream cone.
- Finally, carefully create two eyelashes details with the Chia Seeds.
- Anything else you add is now down to your whimsical imagination! I added some of my edible florals, a little raspberry, and some edible glitter. If you want to add glitter to the cone, a base of the vegan yoghurt will truly help it stick. Now, enjoy enchanted being!
Also, how cute is the coconut bowl? I got it from Coconut Bowl themselves! If you’d like to get one you can click here. Fancy a discount on your own coconut bowl for all your smoothie creations? Enter 768980EF at checkout right here (this is an affiliate link).
I do hope you loved this enchanted, whimsical Papaya and Strawberry Unicorn Smoothie Bowl. I’d love to know if you re-create it! My social media platforms are at the top right of this post so do tag away!
What do you love in your smoothie bowl? Do you find smoothie bowls nourishing for your Gastroparesis? I’d love to know your most enchanting combinations in the comments, please!
- Georgie xoxo Gastroparesis Blog Series
- Georgie xoxo Gastroparesis Recipes
- IFFGD Gastroparesis Awareness Month
- G-PACT Gastroparesis Awareness Month
Thank you so, so much for taking the time to read this post and engage in any way you can with this very important awareness month. I’m truly beyond grateful and your constant love and support is the strength that I will use to create the seemingly impossible things.
To read all my posts about Gastroparesis the dedicated category is right here.
HEAD HERE TO READ MY GASTROPARESIS POST SERIES
♥ SUPPORT GEORGIE XOXO ON KOFI ♥
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post and for being here. I love and appreciate you beyond words.
Georgie xoxo is a blog for those seeking everyday whimsy, with a heart full of wanderlust focusing on travel adventures, pretty crafts, chronic illness and words on finding the meaning in life through wonder and enchantment.
It’s my ultimate hope that there has been something on my blog that has enabled you to travel into the deepest realms of wonder and enchantment so that you can truly feel and embody your own world, and the world around you, that can be filled with more magic than you could possibly imagine.
By supporting Georgie xoxo on Kofi, you enable me to bring these ideas and whimsical tales to life. Thank you in abundance for your love and support that is the strength that I use to create impossible things.