This silky Rose Moon Milk is such nourishment for your body that will leave you feeling utterly blissful, soothed, balanced, and serene.
In addition, this beautiful moon milk recipe is vegan, gluten-free, caffeine-free, and dairy-free that naturally contains a combination of carbs and protein to help induce calming hormones that help you sleep. I also find it very soothing for Gastroparesis, Scleroderma, and Prolactinoma symptoms.
I do hope you enjoy this sumptuously serene moon milk recipe with some of my favourite ways to tie this sweetness to a Moon ritual that embodies the richest of truths and all the potent wonder of the Moon.
What Is Moon Milk?
Do you remember growing up hearing that a warm cup of milk at bedtime was a whimsical ritual that would aid good sleep? Well, now the tradition is back with a twist and it’s referred to as Moon Milk (just to note that this could also be known as a ‘moon mylk’. The ‘mylk’ spelling is often referred to plant-based kinds of milk.)
But what is Moon Milk? Well, essentially, it is warm milk with spices, herbs, and added nutrients that are all magically spun together to bring about complete serenity and balance.
Now, have you ever heard of Golden Milk before? If so, that’s really one of the earliest Moon Milks that comes from the Indian drink “Haldi doodh” that translates to “turmeric milk” in Hindi. In Ayurveda traditions from India, this Golden Milk is used as a common remedy for insomnia and simply beams with nourishment.
So what goes into a Moon Milk? Well, firstly you’ll want to pick your favourite Milk of choice as the base. Milk (or mylk as many vegans refer to non-dairy forms as) naturally contains a combination of carbs and protein to help induce calming hormones that help you sleep.
The next common ingredient is an Adaptogen. These are a select group of herbs (and some mushrooms) that support the body’s natural ability to deal with stress. They are called adaptogens because of their unique ability to “adapt” their function according to the specific needs of the body.
Ashwagandha is one of the most common of these Adaptogens and the one I’m using today (I get mine from the Natural Health Market here). I find wonderful Ashwagandha so blissful for relieving stress and all the benefits this gives me as I battle a variety of chronic illnesses.
The next part is very intuitive because you can really work with your creativity when it comes to taste and adorning the Moon Milk to your preferences.
So without further ado, here’s how I create my dreamy, silky, and restorative Rose Moon Milk blend!
How To Make a Rose Moon Milk Recipe
How To Make Rose Moon Milk [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Caffeine-Free, Dairy-Free and Herbal]
- 1 Cup milk of your choice (I'm using Rude Health's Coconut Drink)
- ¼ teaspoon Ashwagandha Powder
- 1 Cardamom Pod
- 1 tbsp Rose Petals (OR this is where you can play about with herbs and spices of your choice. You could try lavender buds, Rose Water, syrups, Ginger, Turmeric, Cloves, Nutmeg, Cinnamon etc)
- 1 teaspoon Maple Syrup (or sweetener of choice. You can even add 1 whole date in place of any liquid sweetener if you have one)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract (or a Vanilla Pod)
- 1 teaspoon Coconut Oil
- Raw Cocao (to decorate)
- Add 1 cup of the milk of your choice to a saucepan.
- Add the Ashwagandha, Vanilla, coconut oil and Maple Syrup and stir together gently.
- Add the rose petals and cardamom pod (or alternatives)
- Steep the above for 5 minutes on a low to medium heat. You don't want this to boil.
- After 5 minutes, sieve the mixture into your mug (don't discard the mixture you have sieved. You can always add it to a bath or blend it for other uses)
- Finish your Moon Milk with decoration if you wish. I added more rose petals, some edible glitter and a tiny bit of raw cacao.
- Enjoy your milk and at the times of the New or Full Moon, sip it as you feel into your intentions and wishes for the time to come.
How To Make A Moon Ritual With Your Rose Moon Milk Recipe
I wanted to finish this blog post with some suggestive ideas for enjoying your Rose Moon Milk as part of a New Moon or Full Moon Ritual as this makes the experience of drinking Moon Milk especially potent when tuning into the cycles of the moon.
Firstly, why is a moon ritual, and taking the time to connect with the rhythms of the Moon so deeply powerful?
Well, for many of us here on Earth, we are surrounded by our daily comforts and possessions, but so many of us are utterly cut off from the natural world, from our mind, from our bodies, and from the magic of embodiment. Well, connecting to the Moon can be one way to start this relationship with the natural world outside of us.
After all, it is the Moon that illuminates our ancient longings and has done for centuries. When she glows against the piercing midnight sky, she is a symbol of our soul, our dreams, and all our desires.
It is the Moon that pulls us forward with its rhythmic and cyclical ebbs and flows. The Moon is our inner wisdom, our intuition, and our heart’s wisdom.
And thus, embodying the magic of the Moon is the most magical adventure that to me is the true essence of seeking everyday whimsy, wonder, and enchantment.
If you’re able to, right now, allow yourself to take a long deep breath and feel your heart open towards the light and inner wisdom the Moon will fill you with tonight (or whenever you are reading this).
I hope the sweetness of your Rose Moon Milk has beckoned you into a truly peaceful surrender. In this blissful state of receptive being, here are some of my favourite rituals to connect to the Moon for deepest whimsy, wonder and enchantment.
My Favourite Ways To Connect To The Moon
Do you ever notice you’re out of sorts around the same time each month? Have you ever stopped to take a pause and allow this to be there? And moreover, in doing so, have you looked up to the heavens and noticed the radiating light from the Moon and questioned the relationship between your deepest being and the universe that you’re part of?
If you said ‘yes’ to any of the above, it might be your calling to connect to the Moon!
These are just some of my favourite ways of connecting with the phases of the moon that bring me a greater awareness of other cycles and rhythms within my own body, mind, heart, and spirit.
1. Use the Moon Cycles to set intentions
Each of the Moon’s four main phases has an effect on our mood, body, and life. Here’s how we can harness her energy:
- New Moon- New Beginnings: This is a beautiful time to honour the energy of the new Moon in the sky. Use this time to set goals and set a plan of action in place. Avoid making big purchases and decisions. Instead, use this time as a rest as you prepare to lean into these new beginnings and intentions. Take such nourishing care of yourself.
- Waxing Moon- Building Momentum: Honour the waxing Moon energy by focusing on what you want to increase or attract into your life and take the action needed. This is a wonderful time for self-discipline and perseverance. It’s also a proactive time for business and financial matters.
- Full Moon- In The Flow: Emotions and passions are most intensely felt at this period of time. However, with lunar energies at their most abundant, it is the most potent time for rituals and magic. Use this time to celebrate all your successes over this period. At the same time, be deeply self-forgiving and let go of any regrets. Instead, embrace gratitude and shine a light on what you want to invite into your life.
- Waning Moon- Release & Resolve: During this period, the moonlight shines most vividly on the importance of completing tasks as well as releasing all that is unhelpful in our lives. Take this time to heal, dream, breathe, relax and accept yourself for all you are. Most importantly, don’t give up and let the Moon help commit yourself to move forward in a way that is most self-honouring.
2. Create a Ritual in your life connected to the Moon
Setting rituals is a deeply sacred activity that is extremely personal and individual to us all.
In essence, it’s all about finding or creating a set of practices you can commit to doing during every New Moon (or at parts of the cycle you most relate to).
It could be as simple as meditating, taking a yoga class, or writing a list of intentions to feel into. You could also create an altar, have a moon bath, make a crystal grid or work with aromatherapy.
Whatever rituals feel most soothing and grounding to you, make sure it incorporates taking a moment to reflect and just be. Ultimately, taking periodic pauses can help us to have a deeper relationship with our heart, mind, and soul.
3. Connect with Nature
By connecting with Mother-Earth we will truly allow ourselves to connect deeper with nature and the Universe and stars we are all part of.
After all, we are stars and stardust and thus part of the universe itself. How does that make you feel? How does that change your connection to wonder, whimsy and enchantment? Truly feel into this by trying to glimpse the Moon as often as you can. Have baths against the moonlight.
Ultimately, connecting with the Moon reconnects us with the Divine. What could be more special than that?
4. Chart your Natural Cycles with the Moon
The Moon is one of the most powerful cycles to embrace in our lives. It has a symbiotic relationship with our menstrual cycles but what if, like me, you don’t menstruate monthly? Well, there are so many abundant ways to connect with the cycles of the Moon. You can track the food you eat and how it makes you feel, your emotions, the weather and just everything.
I love taking 5 minutes at the end of the day and just free-flow writing on everything that has come up for me on that day. After doing this for so long now, I’m able to pinpoint the cyclical nature of my body, my emotions and so much more. It’s beyond powerful.
5. Discover your Moon Sign
Many of us know our sun sign but do you know your Moon Sign?
In my opinion, at least for me, my Moon Sign is the most intimate part of my soul.
I am a Sagittarius Sun, so this fuels my wanderlust and philosophical heart. My Rising Sign is Gemini so this gives me my love for writing and chatty first impression (at least, that’s what people say!) but truly at my absolute core, I am my Pisces Moon. In fact, in my own birth chart, my Moon is the strongest part of my chart so I actually read my Pisces star sign first, then Sagittarius and then Gemini.
Why is your Moon Sign so revealing? This is because your Moon represents your inner presence. It’s the you when no one is around or when you’re with your chosen soulmates in life. It is your unconscious instincts and inner emotional life.
In essence, it’s the you that could be hidden from the world that only you truly know. Your moon sign is where your deepest dreams and desires reside.
Understanding our Moon sign can lead to greater self-awareness and personal fulfillment. When I discovered mine, everything made sense and I have felt so much more peace.
Ready to discover yours? Head to Cafe Astrology and enter your details. When you find out, will you please let me know in the comments below? I’m so intrigued!
6. Journal with the Moon
I do hope you’ve loved reading about all the magical ways you can connect with the Moon. Ready to start?
For me, journaling with the Moon is one of the most transformative rituals we can add to our life.
I have found this gorgeous guide for you that will take you through every Moon phase and be your mentor as you document your deepest intentions throughout each and every cycle. Access the journal prompts here.
Dearest soul reading this right now, alongside your dreamy Rose Moon Milk, and these potent ways to connect to the Moon, I wish you a journey to the deepest realms of wonder and enchantment so that you can truly feel and embody your own world, and the world around you, that can be filled with more magic than you could possibly imagine.
Remember that the Moon is our Earth-home’s satellite. Oh, how much power she holds! From our oceans to our crops to our moods. It’s no wonder she is so revered and has been studied and worshipped for thousands of years.
Now, it’s time for you to bathe in her divinity and encapsulate some of her power into your own life.
I would SO love to know what Moon rituals you already have, what your relationship with the Moon already is, and of course, what you thought of your Rose Moon Milk!
Until then, many more dreamy recipes to follow! The summer sadly gifted me an outbreak of Pompholyx (dyshidrotic eczema) over my hands and feet and as a result, I’ve had many a broken night with the distressing amounts of itchiness and discomfort Eczema brings. However, as I find gentle ways to soothe myself, I will be back and oh how I’ve missed you all!