This dreamy Courgette Soup is a gorgeous light summer soup, that is perfect for this time of year when courgettes are cheap and plentiful.
It’s actually inspired by a recent trip to Glastonbury where I had some of the best meals I can remember. A truly divine courgette and watercress soup was one of them but annoyingly I lost my photo from their specials board so today I bring you my own version that’s vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free.
But most importantly for me, it’s a deeply aromatic and flavourful soup that is free of onions and garlic (and other problem ingredients) that is safe for those that suffer from IBS, GERD/GORD, Acid Reflux, Gastroparesis and/or Heartburn.
As a result of being diagnosed with Scleroderma last year, I developed very severe acid reflux that is essentially the burning sensation in your chest or oesophagus, that is the most common symptom of acid reflux and gastroesophageal reflux after eating certain foods.
Some people like myself might also experience vomiting or regurgitation from your trigger foods. So every single one of my recipes is designed with all these things in mind. To learn more about this condition you can find more information here.
Courgette Soup for GERD & Gastroparesis (Vegan + Dairy Free + Gluten Free)
- 1 Courgette (chopped)
- 1 Celery Stick (chopped)
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 400ml Vegetable Stock (make sure this is allergen free)
- 2 tbsp Chopped Almonds (toasted)
- Kale (2 big handfuls)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Basil (chopped)
- In a clean pan toast the chopped almonds for a few minutes, being careful to not burn them, and carefully set aside.
- In a large soup pan heat the olive oil on a medium heat. Add the chopped courgettes, celery and fresh basil and saute for 6 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the two handfuls of Kale and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the toasted almonds and remove from the heat. Let it cool slightly.
- In a blender, add the soup and puree in batches until smooth.
- Add soup to the pan again and season with a good quality sea salt. Cook for a further 4 minutes on a medium to low heat.
- Enjoy and serve with crusty bread if desired! Serves 1 big portion or two smaller portions.
So let’s talk about why this is not only so delicious but also super healthy.
Well, firstly, Courgettes, (better known in the United States as Zucchini), contain vitamin K, vitamin C, potassium and dietary fibre. And if you’re trying to lose weight then you should make the courgette number one on your shopping list as they happen to be super low in calories because of their high water content.
The other key ingredient is Kale, one of the healthiest ingredients in the world. The nutrients Kale contains all support healthy skin, hair, and bones and the fibre content enhances digestion and contributes to cardiovascular health.
With even more nutritional value than Spinach, Kale can help to improve blood glucose control in diabetes, lower the risk of cancer, reduce blood pressure, and help prevent the development of asthma.
The powerhouse of benefits Kale has is never-ending and in addition to the courgette, it’s a really powerful combination.
Wonderful for GERD/Gastroparesis
To avoid the trigger foods of onion and garlic for those with severe acid reflux like myself, Celeriac, or celery root, is a fantastic option. Peeled and diced, it’s great to use as a replacement that can be used as an aromatic in sauces or stews.
To finish it all off, the toasted almonds provide a delicious source of protein and complement this hearty soup so very well in my opinion.
I truly believe this soup works perfectly well as a light dinner when you add some crusty bread on the side and enjoy in the warmer evenings.
I really hope you love this Courgette Soup as much as I did sharing it with you all!
Finally, do you have any requests for future recipes? Be sure to let me know by leaving a comment below. And if you try this with me please share the results with me on Twitter or Instagram: I’d so love to see! xoxo